Financial Aid



The Office of Veteran Affairs, located in the Welcome Center, provides enrollment services and general information to students who are eligible for benefits under the Veterans Administration (VA) Program.

Courses offered by Morgan Community College, (with certain exceptions), are approved for the training of veterans and eligible dependents under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35, and 1606, Title 38, U.S. Code (P1 815). Students who plan to utilize Veterans Administration (VA) benefits while attending Morgan Community College should contact the Office of Veteran’s Affairs immediately after making the decision to attend MCC. A six- to eight-week VA processing time should be anticipated for new applicants.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Affairs at MCC of any address changes and/or enrollment changes such as course adds and drops, change of major, other schools attended, and any other information related to their academic standing.

Veterans must submit a copy of their DD214 and official transcripts of grades for any previous college education when submitting their Application for Admission to MCC. Failure to provide this institution with a written record may result in serious delay in educational benefits.

Students will be responsible for payment of anything the VA does not include in their benefits.


How do I apply for the GI Bill®?

Go to and apply for benefits. You can use the various tools on this site to help you choose which Chapter you may apply for and to see what your housing rate will be.  Have your DD 214 available when you go to complete the app.

Can I also receive Financial Aid?

YES, you can! The GI bill does not affect your eligibility for Financial Aid and Financial Aid does not prevent you from receiving the GI bill.  To apply for financial aid, go to 

How do I know if I am eligible for VA benefits?
  • Once you have completed the application for educational benefits, you will receive notification from the VA that will explain what benefits you are eligible for.
  • If you are using the Chapter 33, Post 9/11 MGIB you will be notified of the percentage that they will pay.  You will be responsible for any payment above and beyond what the VA will pay.
How do I get a copy of my Notice of Eligibility?

Once you apply for benefits, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you do not have your copy, you can log into eBenefits and select “Manage your Benefits”, go to the education section, and click the Enrollment Status link.  Print the “Education Enrollment Status” page.

How do I use the GI Bill and get payments started?

Each semester, MCC will require you to submit a “request for certification” form and then they will certify your enrollment.   

Download: Certification Form

How long does it take for the GI Bill payments to start?
  • The VA takes up to 12 weeks (usually closer to 6) from when the certification is submitted to them by the school. If you are using the Post 9/11 bill, your housing won’t start until at least the first of the month following the first full month of school.  For example, for a semester beginning January 20, you will not receive any housing benefit until around March 1.
  • If you are receiving benefits under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) or MBIB-SR (Chapter 1606), you must also verify your enrollment at the end of each month to receive payment for that month. Benefits are paid after each month of school is completed.
  • Call toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify your attendance.
  • You will generally receive payment within two weeks of verifying your enrollment at the end of the month (or within one week if using Direct Deposit). If you don’t receive payment in this timeframe, please contact the VA using the “Ask a Question” tab on or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551.)
How do I pay for my books?

You will pay for your books out of pocket or with Financial Aid unless you are using Voc Rehab and they usually will pay for them. The Post 9/11 bill includes a book stipend of $41.67/credit hour up to a $1,000/year maximum, but the money will be deposited into your personal bank account and that usually takes 4-6 weeks once your certification is filed.

Do veterans qualify for in-state tuition?

Yes! As long as you reside within Colorado, you will qualify.

Military In-State Tuition

If you are classified as a non-resident for tuition classification purposes, you may qualify as in-state under the following:

Active Duty and Dependents:

  • HB 20-1275 grants active-duty military and their spouse/child under 23 years of age, both in-state tuition rates and College Opportunity Fund Stipend (COF) eligibility.
  • CRS 23-7-106 grants Canadian Military who are stationed in Colorado, and their spouse/children under 23 years of age instate tuition rates if they maintain a full-time principal residence in this state.
  • CRS 23-7-108 grants a member of the Colorado National Guard and their spouse/child under 23 years of age in-state tuition rates when they maintain their sole residence in Colorado.

Veterans and Dependents:

  • HB 20-1275 grants veterans and their spouse/child under 23 years of age, both instate tuition rates and College Opportunity Fund Stipend (COF) eligibility.
How do I get credit for prior schooling and military training?

Have your official transcripts sent directly to MCC at:  Morgan Community College, 920 Barlow Road, Fort Morgan, CO  80701.  Transcripts that are delivered to the student, rather than the school, are NOT considered official, even if they are still in a sealed envelope.  Your military transcripts can be ordered through the Joint Services transcript website for Army, National Guard, Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard and Air Force transcripts can be ordered through the Community College of the Air Force website.  Any college transcripts can be ordered from your respective schools.  Your transcripts must be received within the first two semesters of your attendance at MCC.

What is COF? Why and how do I apply and authorize it?
  • The College Opportunity Fund (COF) is the amount of money that the state contributes towards your tuition. To be eligible, you must apply for the stipend at
  • COF is currently paying $40/credit and the amount is set annually by the Colorado General Assembly.
  • You must authorize COF to be used every semester. You may authorize by checking the link on the registration page or it is done automatically when you do a paper registration unless you select the box that states “I do not authorize COF”.
  • The school will subtract the amount you will receive for COF prior to billing the VA for your tuition and fees. If you choose not to authorize your COF, YOU will be responsible to pay the amount that the COF would have covered.  The VA and Voc Rehab do not pay the amount that would have been covered by COF.
Will the GI Bill benefits affect my disability pay?

No, they will remain the same.

Can I use Yellow Ribbon at MCC?

No, MCC does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon program.

Can I drop at any time?

As a student at MCC, you have the right to add/drop/change/and withdraw from the classes during the designated times. If you add or drop any classes, notify the certifying official.  This may result in the VA requesting that you give money back for a course that was paid for but not completed.

What is acceptable proof of military service?
  • If you were discharged from regular active duty after January 1, 1950, a copy of DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty needs to be provided to your certifying official.
  • If you were discharged from the Selected Reserves or the National Guard, you must include copies of adequate documentation of at least six years of honorable service.  If you were discharged from the Army or Air Force National Guard, you may submit NGB Form 22, Report of Separation and Record of Service, or NGB Form 23, Retirement Points Accounting, or its equivalent.  If you were discharged from the Selected Reserve, you may submit a copy of your latest annual points statement and evidence of honorable service.  Unfortunately, there is no single form used by the Reserves or National Guard similar to the DD214.  It is your responsibility to furnish adequate documentation of at least six years of honorable service.

Step-by-Step Instructions

  1. Go to the VA website at or
  2. Scroll down and click “Apply for benefits”
  3. Click on “Veterans Online Application” (VONAPP) with your DD-214 in hand and complete the appropriate application.
  4. Allow several weeks to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. MCC will need a copy of the COE.  You can mail, fax, email, or hand deliver it to the Certifying official.
  5. Apply to Morgan Community College online at There is no application fee.
  6. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at Our school code is 009981.
  7. Schedule an appointment with a financial advisor. Our Financial Aid advisors annually attend the Federal Student Aid Conference which is a week-long training addressing all aspects of Title IV aid.  They also participate in monthly trainings and on committees regarding verification, SAP, R2T4, and Default Management through the Colorado Community College System.
  8. Go to for our net price calculator. This link helps to determine the amount of money that you will need to attend college.  It includes estimates for tuition, fees, books and supplies and room and board, along with other expenses.  Since we do not have dormitories, keep in mind that your cost of living can vary greatly based on your individual situation.
  9. Apply for scholarships. Select the Financial Aid Home link on the bottom of our home page and then choose “Scholarships and grants” and select “Search and apply for scholarships”.  Choose “sign in” on top right of the page and complete the application.  This one application puts you in the running for all of the scholarships listed on the previous page.
  10. Submit the VA Data Sheet to MCC’s Certifying Official (VA Data Sheet). This form only needs to be completed once for MCC.
  11. Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. They will help you choose your classes and complete any necessary testing.
    1. Keep the following in mind when choosing classes:
      1. The VA will only pay for courses applicable to your selected major.
      2. The VA will not pay for remedial courses that are taken on-line.
      3. Housing benefits are payable to students enrolled in “in-seat” classes as long as they are taking MORE THAN what is considered half time credits. This amount is pro-rated based on the enrollment status.  If a student is taking both on-line and “in-seat” courses, the housing rate is paid the same way.
      4. For students taking ONLY on-line courses, the housing stipend is paid at 50% for a full time course load.
  12. Once you have completed enrollment, complete the VA Certification Request form to the Certifying Official at MCC. (Certification Request) This form needs to be completed every semester before your Certifying Official will submit your certification.
  13. If you change your address or phone number, be sure to go on your MCC portal and make the correction.

If you wish to drop or withdraw from any classes, you must contact the MCC Certifying Official.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans Benefits

The MCC administration, faculty, and staff are proud of U.S. veterans for their service to our country!  We welcome veteran students and offer VA educational assistance and guidance through the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI bill, Dependents Educational Assistance and VA Vocational Rehabilitation along with their enrollment at MCC.


  • Open admissions policy
  • Credit for education
  • Transfer credits accepted from other colleges and universities
  • A variety of degree programs approved for VA educational benefits

The Welcome Center personnel work with veterans and service members who are current and starting MCC students.  We assist students during the application process with applying for their benefits and we also certify students’ enrollments to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Our Certifying Officials receive training from the Department of Veterans Affairs.  New certifying officials must complete 10 virtual training modules within 14 days of becoming an SCO and prior to processing any certifications.

Experienced SCO’s must complete 8 hours of annual training that is provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs as well as Regional Training provided by the Education Liaison Representative (ELR).

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs ( determines the eligibility of educational benefits for veterans of the U.S. armed forces and their family members.  If you or your family members are eligible for veteran educational benefits, the VA rep will certify your MCC enrollment in order for you or your family members to receive these benefits.  Students who are eligible to receive veteran educational benefits need to complete an MCC VA Data Sheet to be considered for the benefits.  They must also submit official transcripts from any higher ed schools they’ve attended as well as their military transcripts.

Information may be obtained from the Veterans Administration website at to verify individual eligibility and requirements to apply.  Once your eligibility has been confirmed, Morgan Community College will assist you in processing the necessary forms.  Veterans may contact Deb Wacker, VA Certifying Official at 970-542-3152 or [email protected].

Chapter 30—Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill establishes a program of education benefits for essentially three groups or categories of individuals based on their active duty service.  The benefits available to each person may vary depending on their particular situation and length of active duty service.

For more information on eligibility on Chapter 30 Montgomery GI bill for Active Duty, we encourage you to visit:

Chapter 31—Vocational Rehabilitation

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, USC, Chapter 31 and the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21.  It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 Program.  This program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.  For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, this program offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Students must contact the Veterans Administration Office in Wichita at 1-800-827-1000 for guidance to apply for this benefit.  They will schedule an appointment in the Lakewood office for the veteran.  Once your eligibility has been confirmed, please submit a VA Form 22-1995 to Morgan Community College.

Chapter 33—Post 9/11

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10,2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

VA Form 22-1990 (first time applying)-The application can be submitted online via the VONAPP VA website at  A copy of the application must be submitted to Morgan Community College for a file to be created and maintained.

Students must also submit a copy of their DD-214 to accompany the application.

VA Form 22-1995 (change of program/place of training)-The application can be submitted online via the VONAPP VA website  A copy of the application must be submitted to Morgan Community College to be placed in the Veterans’ file.

Chapter 35—Survivors & Dependents’ Assistance

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.  The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.  Effective October 1, 2013, some DEA beneficiaries may be eligible for 81 months of GI Bill benefits if they are eligible for more than one education benefit.

VA Form 22-5490 (Dependent’s Application for VA Education Benefits)—The application can be submitted online via the VONAPP VA website  A copy of the application must be submitted to Morgan Community College for a file to be created and maintained.

Chapter 1606—GI Bill Selected Reserve

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs.  Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances.

VA For 22-1990 (first time applying)-The application can be submitted online via the VONAPP VA website  A copy of the application must be submitted to Morgan Community College, for a file to be created and maintained.

Students who are enrolled must complete the Request for Certification each semester and submit it to the VA Certifying Official.

Download: Certification Request

What You Need to Know

What you need to know 


Students are required to submit official transcripts from each school attended and from their branch of service prior to the third semester at MCC. Transcripts must be mailed directly to:

Morgan Community College
920 Barlow Road
Fort Morgan, CO  80701

Military transcripts can be ordered through the JST website below and or through your specific branch of service. Your college transcripts can be ordered electronically through Parchment if your prior college(s) uses their service.

***Official transcripts must be submitted by the end of the third semester.

***VA certification will be denied if official transcripts are not received by the end of the third semester.

Joint Services Transcript (JST) –

Full Time vs. Part Time

The Department of Veteran Affairs determines the rate of pursuit by the number of credits and days/weeks of the semester/session/term/cycle.  Students can typically be considered a full-time VA student based on this criteria but status can change without notice:

*Enrollment of 12 credit hours during a 15 week session is considered full time for VA students.

*Enrollment of 7 credits during a 10 week session is considered full time for VA students.


The MCC Office of Guidance and Counseling will assist you in your job search and will routinely post job openings on the information board outside of the Welcome Center.  They also routinely email all staff about job openings to ensure that students are being informed.

The Colorado Department of Labor also has many resources to help veterans and service members transitioning out of the military to re-enter the labor market.  As part of Colorado’s Priority of Service, job postings are available to veterans before they are made available to the general public.  The DOL also assists with licensing and certification, employment services, and provides virtual seminars.

Hire Patriots is a free outreach for honorable US Military, Veterans, and their families.  The Hire Patriots program helps military and veterans earn money when they are in and out of the Service with Local One Day job boards and a National Full Time job board.

General overview and paying for school

MCC’s Tuition & Fees


Fall term certifications will begin after August 1.

Spring term certifications will begin after January 1.

Summer term certifications will begin after May 1.

Satisfactory Progress

Satisfactory Progress

The Veterans Administration (VA) expects all students who receive veterans educational benefits to make satisfactory progress and systematic achievement toward an educational objective or be liable for repayments to the VA. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected of all students receiving veterans benefits. If a student who receives veterans benefits is placed on academic suspension, benefits are terminated and discontinued for the duration of the suspension.

Required Credentials by Educational Program

Required Credentials by Educational Program

The following information is intended to provide additional disclosure of any state, federal, commercial, or other requirements related to obtaining credentials in a given field.  Programs with other requirements are provided in the listing below.

Program Credential Requirement
Automotive Collision Program is accredited by I-CAR and Auto Service Excellence Foundation.  Students have the opportunity to minimally receive an industry certification for Pro-Level 1 Auto Collision Tech upon successful completion of the program and an examination.  There is opportunity for additional certifications beyond Pro-Level 1.  ASE Certification occurs after program completion and 2 years of work experience in the field.
Automotive Service Program Accreditation through ASE Education Foundation.  Students are required to take the ASE Entry Level Certification Exam upon completion of the program.
Electromechanical Technology The State Electrical Board licenses, registers, and regulates electricians, apprentices, and electrical contractors.  Electrical Board applications and forms can be accessed through the Department of Regulatory Agencies Colorado.
Emergency Medical Technician

Criminal Background Check

Must meet requirements for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians

Medical Assistant Criminal Background Check
Nurse Aide

Criminal Background Check

Successful pass of the Colorado Nurse Aide exam

Nursing Licensed Practical Nurse

Criminal Background Check

Successful pass of the National Council Licensure Examination – Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN) exam

Nursing, Associate Degree in Nursing

Criminal Background Check

Successful pass of the National Council Licensure Examination – Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN) exam


Criminal Background Check

Successful completion of the Phlebotomy Certification Board through The American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians

Physical Therapist Assistant

Criminal Background Check

Successful pass of the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) administered by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy


Licensure through the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies


Radiologic Technology

Criminal Background Check

Successful pass of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists exam

Real Estate

Criminal Background Check

Successful completion of the Colorado Broker exam through PSI Exams Online.

Real Estate Appraiser and Brokers are licensed, registered, and regulated through the Department of Regulatory Agencies Colorado.

Real Estate Appraisers:

Real Estate Brokers:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

This program prepares students to sit for the Federal Aviation Remote Pilot Exam to obtain their Remote Pilot Certificate.  Must take exam if student is seeking to charge for their services as a remote pilot. 

Welding Opportunity for AWS industry certification for D.11 Structural Steel upon completion of the program and assessment of welding skills.


Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard.  Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% of the tuition expenses of its members.  Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program.  VA does not administer Tuition Assistance.  Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and can even vary between components within the branches depending on whether the service member is Active duty, Reserve, or National Guard.

Each service has its’ own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions.  This money is usually paid directly to the institution after billing is completed for the semester.

Your best sources of information are and

TA at Morgan Community College

Tuition Assistance benefits are processed through the Accounting Department at Morgan Community College.  Students work with their branch education office to apply and be approved for Tuition Assistance.  The branch education office may also require use of specific branch websites to complete the process (i.e.

Completed TA Authorization Forms can be emailed to the attention of the Third Party Billing Specialist. MCC will enroll you only after your TA is approved by your individual branch of service.

Sandy Johnson
Accounting Technician II
Morgan Community College
920 Barlow Road
Fort Morgan, CO  80701
Phone (970) 542-3124
Fax (970) 542-3117
[email protected]


If you are using VA education Benefits and TA

If a student receives education benefits from VA and receives TA benefits from the military, duplication of benefits may be an issue.  The issue might involve VA regulations, DoD regulations, military branch specific regulations or all three since VA, DoD, and the military branches all have regulations about receiving VA benefits and TA at the same time.

It is your responsibility to read and understand our tuition assistance contract to determine whether use of both benefits is permitted in your case.  If you use both benefits and are not authorized to do so, any overpayment will be your responsibility to repay to the VA, MCC and/or the DoD.

In general terms, state TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill.  When it is used with Federal TA, the GI Bill can only be certified for the amount of tuition and fees that the TA does not cover, if any.  Please research this topic on the GI Bill website.

Chapter 30 (MGIB) and 33 (Post 9/11) Recipients

Active duty, National Guard, and Reserve service members may receive GI Bill benefits for the same courses for which they receive Federal TA from the military.  Schools must deduct TA benefits from the net tuition and fees submitted to the VA, and the GI Bill is used to pay toward the remaining out-of-pocket costs.

Chapter 1606 and 1607 Recipients

Chapter 1606 and 1607 recipients cannot use Federal TA in conjunction with the GI Bill.  State TA can be used however.

Please contact the School Certifying Official for questions regarding your eligibility for the GI Bill:

Deb Wacker
VA Certifying Official
Morgan Community College
920 Barlow Road
Fort Morgan, CO  80701
(970) 542-3152
[email protected]

Order of payment

  • State Tuition Assistance (up to 100% of TUITION ONLY, subject to cap; may be affected by financial aid)
  • Federal Tuition Assistance (not to exceed 100% of tuition. In some cases, course related fees are also paid for as designated by GOARMYED for CO ARMY NATIONAL GUARD applicants only.)
  • GI Bill (Applied to the remaining tuition/fees)

State Tuition Assistance (National Guard – Army – Air Force)

Colorado Department of Military and Veterans Affairs

Federal Tuition Assistance

Army National Guard

Federal Tuition Assistance (Air Force)

Buckley AFB ED & Training Office
(720) 847-6675

Unearned Military Tuition Assistance

Unearned Military Tuition Assistance

If a student withdraws from a course after the census date due to being called to active military duty a full credit is applied to the student’s account and 100% of funds are returned to the Tuition Assistance program.  Census date is the date at which 15% of the class time has elapsed.  If a student is receiving Tuition Assistance and withdraws from a course between 16% and 60% of the course by their own choice, a calculation of unearned Tuition Assistance funds is prepared on a proportional basis as seen in the schedule below and may result in a balance due to MCC from the student for the return of TA dollars, as well as any other charges the student is responsible for outside of the TA dollars.

For all unofficial drops/withdrawals we will attempt to determine your last participation date in the course(s) and will use that date for the return calculations. If the last date of participation cannot be documented, we will process at 50%.


% of Course Completed% of TA Unearned Funds Returned
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at
Deb Wacker

Deb Wacker

VA Certifying Official

(970) 542-3152
[email protected]

Other Contacts

Academic Advising
Maria Cardenas
Director of Admissions & Advising
Se Habla Español
(970) 542-3169
[email protected]
Fort Morgan Campus

Kelly Rasmussen
Assistant Director of Financial Aid
(970) 542-3160
[email protected]
Fort Morgan Campus

Financial Aid & Disability Services
Janell Sutter
Student Services Specialist & Success Coach
(970) 542-3150
[email protected]
Fort Morgan Campus