Getting Started

Undocumented Students

MCC values our students’ unique backgrounds, experiences, qualities, and challenges that contribute to the perspectives of our institution. We are glad to have you as part of our community.

We will assist you from your first step into MCC through graduation, regardless of your current status.

Talk to an expert on how
you can attend MCC

Maria Cardenas

Maria Cardenas

Director of Admissions and Advising

¡Yo hablo español!
(970) 542-3169
Cottonwood 137


Does MCC ask for immigration status when students enroll?

Morgan Community College is an open-door institution which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. We do not ask for immigration status, but we ask about citizenship status. This helps determine your tuition. Undocumented, ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow), and DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) students should choose the “Non-U.S. Citizen” option on the application.

How does immigration status affect tuition?

Undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid, but may be eligible for Colorado state financial aid and/or in-state tuition, regardless of citizenship or immigration status.

  • In Colorado, students who meet Colorado residency requirements are eligible for in-state tuition regardless of citizenship or immigration status.
  • Students who qualify for in-state tuition via ASSET legislation, are also able to receive the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend from the state of Colorado which helps reduce the cost of tuition.

Undocumented students may apply for scholarships, including scholarships awarded by the MCC Foundation.

Would MCC ever share immigration status with federal immigration officials?

In most cases, the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) protects education records. We would only share information about immigration status if an official produces a legal order (subpoena or search warrant) to seek information on a student. We review all legal orders with our attorney before sharing documents.

What does MCC do to ensure that no student or family is discriminated against or harassed because of race, ethnicity, religion, or natural origin?

We believe deeply in diversity and inclusion. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment. Our policies mandate no discrimination or harassment of students, families, or employees based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, or many other protected classes.

What should I do if I believe I am the victim of discrimination or harassment?

Complete this online form. MCC will take necessary action.

What if I have or plan to apply for ASSET?

ASSET is a Colorado state law that allows some immigrant students to receive in-state tuition at Colorado public higher education institutions. It does not affect immigration status or lawful presence. ASSET cannot be rescinded by a president or federal administration in the same way DACA can.

What can I do to better understand my immigration rights?

Consult an immigration attorney. For your own protection, do not seek advice from anyone except licensed immigration attorneys. You can find an immigration attorney from the American Immigration Lawyers Association in English or Spanish.

Do similar policies apply to international students?

Undocumented, DACA, and ASSET students are not considered to be international students. At this time, MCC is not licensed by the federal government to accept international students and therefore does not accept international student applications.

Special Financial Aid Opportunity

Apply for CASFA

ASSET Application

House Bill 19-1196, passed in May 2019, allows Colorado ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Tomorrow) students to qualify for money to help pay for college. State aid, including grants, scholarships, and work-study funds, will help open the door to higher education for students who have attended high school in Colorado but who are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Immigration Resources in Colorado

Colorado Resources

Catholic Charities of Colorado – Immigration Services

Phone: (303) 742-0828 (Denver) / (970) 484-5010 (Fort Collins) / (970) 353-6433 (Greeley)

  • Consultation Fee $50, by appointment only. Legal advice regarding immigration status, immigration issues, assistance with immigration applications, and information on becoming a legal permanent resident or citizen.

Global Refugee Center

Phone: (970) 313-8800 (Greeley)

  • Serves families in refugee communities and provides community outreach and education. Comprehensive access to education and systems navigation needs including ESL, citizenship, economic stability, health and nutrition.

    OneMorgan County

    Phone: (970) 370-2990 (Fort Morgan)
    106 E. Kiowa Ave., Fort Morgan, CO 80701

    • OneMorgan County fosters relationships among diverse people and organizations to strengthen the well-being, safety, and cohesive nature of the community.

    Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (Westminster)

    Phone: (303) 433-2812 / Hotline for detained individuals and family members: (303) 866-9308

    • Legal services for immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers who are facing deportation at the GEO/ICE immigration detention center in Aurora, CO; free legal and support services for survivors of human trafficking and sex trafficking.

    Colorado Public Charge Fact Sheets: Available in Spanish, Somali, and more

    Additional Legal Resources

    Disclaimer: The external links in this document are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by MCC of any of the services, information, or opinions in those links. MCC bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.